UCR Math 009C Calculus III Summer 2019
Instructor: Jonathan Dugan
Meeting Time: MTWR 8:10-9:30 in Skye 172
Discussion: T 10:10-12:00 in Skye 173
Office Hours: MW 10:10-12:00 in Skye 281
Midterm: Thursday, August 15, in Lecture
Final: Saturday, August 31, 8:00-10:00am in Skye 172
Welcome to the class page for Math 9C for summer 2019! This course will finish off topics in a first-year calculus sequence. Over the next five weeks, we will be covering sequences, series, Taylor series, parametrization, and polar coordinates.
We will be using the free online textbook APEX Calculus, Version 4.0, available for download at http://www.apexcalculus.com/downloads/. We will be covering chapters 8 and 9 in the book.
A detailed syllabus for the course is available here.
A tentative schedule of the topics we will cover is available here. This will be updated as the schedule changes (last updated 8/19/19 at 01:52pm).
- Click here for the solutions to the Final Exam.
- This cheat sheet (last updated 8/28/19 at 4:47pm) will be included on the Final Exam.
- Extra Office Hours will be held on Thursday, August 29 from 10:00-2:00 in Skye 284. Also, please do not forget to complete your ieval’s!
- A reminder that the final will be on Saturday, August 31 from 8:00-10:00am in Skye 172. The UCR Math Wiki that I linked earlier has sample finals to help you study.
- The due date for Homework 8.7-8.8 has been extended to Monday Aug. 26 at 11:59pm.
- The due date for Homeworks 8.3, 8.4, and 8.5 has been extended to Monday Aug. 19 at 11:59pm.
- Midterm grades have been posted on iLearn. The average was a B-; the median score was a B. You can view the solutions in my Google Drive here.
- Class will be held from 9:00-9:30 on Monday, August 19.
- Office Hours on Wednesday, Aug. 14 will be held from 10:00-2:00. Also, on the midterm, this sheet with all of the convergence tests will be provided.
- Study materials and example tests are avalable at the UCR Math Wiki. Note that their sample midterms include questions from section 8.6, which will not be on our midterm. So you do not need to study Sample Midterm 1 Problem 5, Sample Midterm 2 Problems 4 and 5, and Sample Midterm 3 Problem 5.
- Tutoring is available at the ARC (Academic Resource Center) for Math 9C! More information is available at the ARC website. The tutoring schedule is available here.
Homework will be online at http://webwork.ucr.edu/webwork2/MATH_009C_B01_19U/.
If you have any questions about using WeBWorK, please consult the student guide, available at http://mathdept.ucr.edu/pdf/studenttools/WeBWorK%20Students%20Guide%20Mar2012.pdf.
Lecture notes are available in my Google Drive folder for the class, and will generally be uploaded after class.
8.2 Infinite Series
8.3 Integral and Comparison Tests
8.4 Ratio and Root Tests
8.5 Alternating Series and Absolute Convergence
A Cool Writeup about Riemann’s Rearrangement Theorem
8.6 Power Series
8.7 Taylor Polynomials
8.8 Taylor Series
A Proof of Stirling’s Formula
9.2 Parametric Equations
9.3 Calculus with Parametric Equations
9.4 Introduction to Polar Coordinates
9.5 Calculus and Polar Functions
Here is a list of the worksheets from discussion: